Friday, July 18, 2008

Man's (and Woman's) Best Friend


I'm not afraid to say it.


I am obsessed with my dog.


But not in the dress him up in clothes and push him around the mall in a stroller kind of way. I just think he is THE CUTEST dog ever! He is a 7 lb. Yorkshire Terrier named Duke Samuel. When my husband told me he wanted to name him Duke, I agreed with the caveat that I would then get to have the final say on the naming of our first child. :) So he was named Duke after Adam's favorite basketball team. Samuel is Adam's brother's middle name. Duke loves to go for walks, chase bugs and play with my parents dogs (which are right up there with Duke in the cuteness factor).

Here are my parent's dogs, Harley and Bodi.

Every dog owner knows that it's important to always have yummy treats on hand for your furry friend. This recipe comes from a Kelley Moore segment on Evening Magazine. It's very easy to make and is one of Duke's favorites!


Pooch Pleasin' Pumpkin Bones

2 1/2 cups oats blended into a fine flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp. olive oil
1 egg
1/3 cup mashed or pureed pumpkin
1 T. molasses

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Blend oats in blender and reserve 1/8th cup for rolling out dough.
Pour rest of blended oats into mixing bowl, add all other ingredients and mix thoroughly until you have a stiff dough (it may be a bit sticky).

Turn dough out onto oat floured board and roll until about 1/4 inch thick.
Cut with 2 inch bone cookie cutter or any other fun cutter of your choosing. Arrange about 1 inch apart on cookie sheet.

Bake for 25 minutes.



1 comment:

Kristen said...

Oh Kyla, he is sooo cute. I never thought I would be a little dog person until Dutchess and Duke and now Harley and Bodi entered the family...I want one.