Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Autumn in New England

Twirling leaves of fiery red, orange and yellow. Crisp, fresh air. History at every turn. Nature all around...

Adam and I are planning our first vacation together! This October we'll be traveling to New England for a long weekend. We'll be sightseeing through Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Since I am an eternal student, I went to the library yesterday to load up on books about the area. I walk out with an armload and a list of the books I would get on my next trip. Among others, I found a great book about driving tours through New England that I'm excited to dive into. I also pulled some books by authors from New England. I already know and love Alcott, Twain, Emerson and Dickinson. A New England bases classic author I had never read is Thoreau. There is no better place to begin learning about this author then by his "masterpiece", Walden. It is about his experiences and musings about life during his two years and two months spent on Walden Pond. Thus far I have not agreed with everything he says, but it has caused me to think about what I do believe concerning everything from charity, to the necessities of life and the fullness of life. Below is a picture of the book and Walden Pond.
I'll keep you updated as our vacations plans begin to take shape.


1 comment:

Kristen said...

Oh I am so jealous!!! It is so amazing to learn so much about you on your blog. I love how you treasure literature and are enthralled with everyday wonders. I can't wait to hear about your trip, Kyla. It sounds like an absolute