Thursday, August 28, 2008

Savoring the Last Days of Summer

One of my many fond memories of summers growing up as a kid was hearing the tune of the ice cream truck coming down our street. My sister and I would grab our allowance money and race out the door to meet him. There we would pick from the smorgasbord of drumsticks, ice cream sandwiches and Popsicles. Unfortunately, it's been awhile since I've been able to chase down the ice cream truck, but I still enjoy a good Popsicle or ice cream every now and then.

You remember my love for blackberries? Well here is another recipe that incorporates the berries in a nostalgic treat. I had planned on posting about a recipe I'd seen somewhere, but I seemed to have lost it so I decided to make up my own recipe instead.

Blackberry Yogurt Pops
Ingredients:
3 cups blackberries
2 tsp lemon juice
2 cups vanilla yogurt
1 frozen and then thawed banana
Directions:
1) In your food processor, mix berries and lemon juice.
2) Strain into a large bowl to remove the seeds. You'll be left with about 1 cup of juice.
3) Mash up your thawed banana and mix with juice.
4) Mix in yogurt.
5) Option #1: Pour into Popsicle molds Option #2: Pour into your ice cream maker and follow machine's instructions for making frozen yogurt.


I went with option #1, and here are my delicious results:


For more Popsicle inspiration check out this book called Pops! Icy Treats for Everyone from the Spoon Sisters.

No comments: