Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Cultural Weekend


I have had the privilege of working with Mona Lisa Events this summer during the busy wedding season. Heather, the owner, went to college with me, and I only wish I had known her more then and known about her passion for events. She has such a strong work ethic, a high level of professionalism, is incredibly creative and is so much fun!


As an event planner one of your jobs is to never let your clients know anything has gone awry on their big day. However, the reality is that there is almost always some little (or big) mishap. You take on many roles to solve whatever problems may occur: seamstress, cake decorator, designer, babysitter or makeup artist. I'm working on getting her to start a blog about the crazy stories from behind the scenes. Some of her stories have me laughing to the point of tears! I'll let you know when I finally convince her.


This last weekend I assisted at two wedding of couples with very different cultural backgrounds. On Saturday it was for a Vietnamese couple. I missed their traditional tea ceremony that took place in the afternoon, but at the reception the couple opted for an early dinner so they could walk from table to table collecting envelopes with monetary gifts from their guests in lieu of a set of towels or a blender.


Sunday's wedding was for a Jewish couple. The couple followed many of the traditional rituals such as the use of a huppa, signing of the ketubah, sharing a glass of kosher wine and crushing the glass at the end of the ceremony. At the reception the entire family circled the couple as they danced and clapped. Then the couple was lifted into the air on chairs and raised up and down. It was such a fun celebration of the family coming together to celebrate the new couple.


I ended the weekend feeling like I had not only learned a lot about two very different cultures, but I had also experienced them. The entire next day I had Hava Nagila playing in my head.

No comments: