Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bringing Out the Fairy Godmother In Us All

(Photo courtesy of Flickr)

How many of you have an old bridesmaid dress or maybe a prom dress wrapped in plastic and shoved in the back of your closet. I know I have several, and while they are fun to keep for sentimental reasons why not consider donating them to a good cause? Recently I came across an incredible organization called The Princess Project. It's a non-profit that gives underprivileged teens an opportunity to wear a beautiful dress to prom. The girls are allowed to keep the dresses if they choose, but are encouraged to return them so other girls might have the opportunity to wear them.

This got me thinking if there are any programs similar to this in the Seattle area. I found The Ruby Room. Their boutique is located in Seattle and is stocked with dresses from size 0 to 30. A personal shopper assists the girls in finding a dress that is perfect for them. They not only carry dresses, but also shoes, purses, accessories and wraps.

If you don't live in the Seattle area, The Ruby Room has a link of similar non-profits across the United States and Canada.

Just think of the difference you could make in one girl's life when she has the opportunity to wear a beautiful dress and spend the one night playing the part of a princess.

*On another note, just wanted to apologize for my lack of posting as of late. Life has suddenly become wonderfully crazy but I hope to get back into my normal posting routine soon. Thank you for your patience and for continually checking in for updates!

1 comment:

Katie Miller said...

I saw an ad for something like this in a bridal magazine. I think it is a great idea too. I am sure all my girls will definitely where my bridesmaid dress again...I mean they could always shorten it, right?