Thursday, October 16, 2008

Glass Containers + Fallish Items = Instant Decor


In my family room I have three glass containers that sit atop my bookcase. Each season I fill them with various items that reflect the time of year. This fall I filled two containers with plasticized leaves from Pottery Barn, beaded mini pumpkins and pine cones collected from the cabin. I poured shimmery black sand into the third containers and stuck a single orange taper candle in the center.
This is an easy decor project that anyone can use in their own home. All you need is an odd number of clear glass containers and a little imagination. Possible filler items for this season might include:
-a mix of gourds, squash and mini pumpkins
-pine cones and moss collected from your backyard
-leaves found either in a store or from a nature walk with your kids
-candy corn rather than sand at the base of a candle.

Whatever you do, have fun with it. Decorating your home sets the tone for the season and should be fun and not a chore.

No comments: